Meet The Critics

With less than two weeks to go until curtains rise on Critics’ Fortnight, I thought I’d take a moment to acquaint you with our all-star team of critics.

Catherine Bray
Peeping Tom (1960)
Monday 7 November: 18:15
BOOK

Catherinebray is currently the Editorial Director at Film4. She also freelances for the BBC, Channel Five, BFI, The Guardian, Time Out and Variety, and has written and presented sections of the BBC’s flagship film show on BBC1. Catherine has also produced two documentary features: Beyond Clueless (2014) and Fear Itself (2015). Follow Catherine on Twitter

Mike McCahill
Run Lola Run (1998)
Wednesday 9 November: 18:30
BOOK

mccahillMike was born in Warwickshire in 1978. He has written on film for The Scotsman since 2002, for the Telegraph since 2003, and for the Guardian since 2012. He is also presently chief critic for the website MovieMail, and co-hosts the weekly pop culture podcast Popswipe with the writer-broadcaster James King. Follow Mike on Twitter

Sophie Monks Kaufman
Fear Eats the Soul (1974)
Friday 11 November: 18:30
BOOK

smkSophie is a writer, filmmaker and podcaster. She is currently the contributing editor for Little White Lies magazine and recently shot her debut short film, I Do Not Sleep. She owns two cats and feels more like a squid than a human. Follow Sophie on Twitter

James Luxford
Pulp Fiction (1994)
Tuesday 15 November: 18:30
BOOK

DWP

James is a film critic for Radio Times, City AM, Picturehouse Presents, and BBC Radio Oxford. He has written on film for The Guardian, Little White Lies and Empire Magazine. He’s a regular Q&A host, and has appeared on BBC One’s South Today. Outside of film, James also writes about LGBTQ issues and travel. Follow James on Twitter

Tim Robey
Mousehunt (1997)
Tuesday 15 November: 18:30
BOOK

robeyTim has written on film, and occasionally books, for the Daily Telegraph since 2000. He is co-editor of The DVD Stack (Canongate), a guide to the best versions of movies available globally, and turns up on Radio 4’s Front Row, the Film Programme, Monocle FM Radio and BBC Film 2016. Follow Tim on Twitter

Dave Calhoun
Nil by Mouth (1997)
Thursday 17 November: 18:00
BOOK

calhounDave is Global film editor for the Time Out Group. He was previously Film editor for Time Out London, and before that Deputy editor of Dazed & Confused magazine. He has written for publications including The Guardian, The Times and Sight & Sound and broadcast on the BBC and Sky News. But he began writing about cinema as a student at Oxford University in the mid-1990s, where his first ever film-reviewing assignment was to cover the Michael Jordan-Bugs Bunny adventure ‘Space Jam’ for the Oxford Student newspaper. Follow Dave on Twitter